encore leaders for collective impact
adults 50+ for social change
our longer lives into an asset
A world that views experienced adults as an asset – an invaluable source of talent for improving our communities.
To create this future:
- The Network connects leaders for learning, action and impact, and provides resources to expand and enhance member work.
- Our members engage adults 50+ through proven practices and innovation.
- Together, we transform aging attitudes and actions throughout the US and globally.
We view the world’s rapidly aging population as an opportunity – an experience dividend for solving significant social problems. Our members are working on the ground to make this vision a reality for more people in more places. We are small and large organizations, new and longstanding leaders from different geographies, constituencies and missions.
- We connect around shared interests while also pursuing our individual missions.
- We create win-wins through collaboration.
- We leverage local ideas globally and global ideas locally.
- We value experimentation and learning.
- We view our variations in program and focus as a strength, and believe that good ideas can come from anywhere in the Network.
The Encore Network has grown from an ad hoc group of early-stage innovators to a significant force in the encore movement. Launched in 2011, its development has been supported by Encore.org and the deep experience and commitment of members.
From 2014 to 2016 the Network expanded across the US and globally. Key successes included:
- Raising member visibility through our online program map, Network newsletter, social media support and connections to journalists
- Connecting encore programs through working groups, conference sessions, newsletters and webinars
- Creating resources including the Encore Talent Works toolkit, diversity resource, metrics resource, Encore Impact Study (2015), and member resource exchange
- Fostering collective action with a shared perspective and strong representation in 2015 White House Conference on Aging regional convenings
In 2017, the next stage of Network development includes a new membership program with enhanced benefits and opportunities for participation. Encore.org continues to sponsor the Encore Network as a key element of its movement-building mission.
Betsy Werley leads the Encore Network. She joined Encore.org in 2013 after her first encore as Executive Director of The Transition Network [link]. Betsy spent 26 years as a corporate lawyer and a business executive at JPMorgan Chase. Her experience as President of the Financial Women’s Association was the catalyst for her move to the nonprofit sector; Betsy continues in a volunteer role leading the FWA’s Baruch College mentoring program.
An innovative national nonprofit that operates in Baltimore, South Florida, Milwaukee, Newark, New York City, Westchester County and (coming soon) San Francisco, ReServe matches continuing professionals age 55+ (ReServists) with organizations that need their expertise.
More than 50 nonprofits, employers, program operators, matchmakers, government agencies, advocates, academics, journalists & others have joined together to strengthen communities in Eastern Massachusetts by engaging the talents of adults 50+.
Visit our program map to find Encore Network members and other innovative programs that are creating encore pathways and opportunities throughout the United States.